Monday, September 11, 2017

Why Modern Dating is hard, part 1

Before the advent of dating apps and the social network, people went on dates, but it was really hard to know more information about your significant other's previous dates. Sure, you may know their name, and you may have a friend of a friend who knows them and swears you're way better, but there was no way to instantly look them up and swipe through all the profile pictures. 

I was going to a party at my significant other's friend's house, and was looking through the event page, just to see what people had said. And I ran into a post by one of the girl's who my SO had dated. And yes, like the jealous, slightly insane person I am, I did look through her profile picture, to see the girl that had captured his attention for a few weeks. 

Do I feel better? No. Was it useful in any way? Definitely not. Could I have done this before Facebook? Nope. 

Now granted, before Facebook I wouldn't have known that she was also invited, and so I may have run into her at the party and had an awkward moment there (irrelevant in this case, since she couldn't make it, but still true). But the possibility of avoiding an awkward encounter doesn't make up for the fact that forever now when I get invited to another event hosted by this friend, I'll be scrolling through the guest list to see if she's there. 


Ignorance is truly bliss, folks. "They" weren't wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment